American Medical Women's Association (AMWA)
Statement of Purpose and Organization/Mission:
- To empower women in medicine to take a leadership role in the future of healthcare
- To learn about opportunities at the state and national level that our AMWA students can participate in to show our support for women in medicine
- To encourage both men and women to be a part of our group and learn more about AMWA's impact in healthcare
National AMWA Mission Statement:
The American Medical Women’s Association is an organization which functions at the local, national, and international level to advance women in medicine and improve women’s health. We achieve this by providing and developing leadership, advocacy, education, expertise, mentoring, and strategic alliances.
Club Activities Spring 2020:
- AMWA/PATH LIFT: Learn, Identify, Fight Trafficking
Plans for Fall 2020:
- Women in Surgery Zoom Event: date pending
- Identifying Human Trafficking as a Medical Professional: date pending
President/PATH Co-Chair: Michele Wang, email@example.com
Vice-President/PATH Co-Chair: Alden Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Linda Nelson
Please visit the AMWA national website for more information!
- Moms in Medicine Lunch Panel: October 11
- Women in Male-Dominated Specialties Lunch Panel
- Physicians Against Human Trafficking (PATH) Lunch Talk
Club Activities 2017:
- Region 8 Conference, Women and Mentorship, September 16th, 2017
- Days for Girls Fundraiser, Lanyard Beading Event, October 24th, 2017
Check back for updated events & dates!
TED talk by Alyson McGregor. "Why Medicine Often Has Dangerous Side Effects for Women"
Movie "Miss Representation"
PATH-AMWA: Physicians Against the Trafficking of Humans
One initiative of AMWA is PATH, which was founded in 2014, to educate physicians, residents, and medical students about issues surrounding sex trafficking. Through the UA COMPHX, we host seminars educating students on the legal and social issues and how to combat this in the office and clinical setting.
For more information: http://www.doc-path.org/
For more resources and education materials: Education and Resources link
2017 Region 8 AMWA Conference Speakers and Leaders: