Family Medicine Interest Group (FMIG)
The mission of UA COMP FMIG is to:
- Serve the community
- Inspire students to pursue family medicine
- Prepare leaders for the future of healthcare
- Serve the community by volunteering, educating, and leading. We will volunteer with underserved populations, educate peers and the community through outreach, and provide opportunities for leadership and advocacy.
- Inspire medical students to pursue family medicine and contribute to the future of the healthcare system through mentorship, relationship building, and camaraderie amongst medical students, residents, physicians, and the community. We will expose members to the specialty of family medicine, host hands on clinics to teach relevant procedural skills such as suturing and casting, encourage student involvement in FMIG and community activities, host discussions on current topics in family medicine, and form relationships with family doctors and local family medicine residency programs.
- Prepare medical students for the future of family medicine through exposure to full spectrum family medicine, dispelling myths, and educating students about continuity, coordination, and comprehensive care. We will host lunch discussions with local physicians, volunteer, and develop leaders.
Merrion Dawson, Class of 2022
Alec Smith, Class of 2022
Dr. Sarah Coles
Assistant Professor - Family, Community, and Preventive Medicine
Cecilia Cruz, Class of 2021
Cornel Popescu, Class of 2021
Kaitlyn Simmons, Class of 2021
Upcoming Club Activities 2019:
- Family Medicine Subspecialties Panel - February (Date TBD)
- Learn about some of the possible career paths that you can pursue as a family medicine doctor! 3-4 family medicine docs will join us for lunch and discuss their paths to family medicine and to their eventual subspecialties.
- Casting Clinic - Late March/Early April (Date TBD)
- Learn how to cast and splint from family medicine doctors, residents, and faculty from the Phoenix area.
- Family Medicine Community Volunteering Day - Late April/Early May (Date TBD)
- Join fellow UA Phoenix students, family med doctors, residents from around Phoenix as we volunteer at an organization (TBD) serving the Phoenix community! Lunch/appetizers will be served following the volunteer event.
Past Club Activities 2016-2018
October 2018 Primary Care Week
-Settings and Practices in Primary Care Lunch Panel
-Full-Spectrum Family Medicine SIM night
-Stations including: Suturing, Skin shave and punch biopsies, Circumcision, Knee aspiration
-Full-Spectrum Family Medicine at the Neighborhood Christian Clinic Lunch Talk
-Plus advocacy from the AzAFP
-Community Health Lunch Talk with Dr. Connie Tucker and Dr. Jonathan Cartsonis
October 15-18, 2018
August 2018 Family Medicine Mixer
October 2017 Primary Care Week
October 16-20. 2017
August 2017 Family Medicine Happy Hour
August 10, 2017
April 2017 Casting Clinic
April 27, 2017
November 2016 Suturing Clinic
November 2, 2016 5:30-7PM
October 2016 Primary Care Week!
Lunch talks and events all week long
FMIG, PIG, Geriatrics, OB/GYN, IMIG
October 24-28, 2016
October 2016 Primary Care Week: Rural and Underserved
State and National Loan Repayment Programs
October 25, 2016 12-1PM
October 2016 Primary Care Week Breakfast
October 26, 2016 7:30-9AM
October 2016 Primary Care Week: Miracle of Modern Medicine
Dr. Steven Brown, Program Director of University of
Arizona - Phoenix Family Medicine Residency
October 26, 2016 12-1PM
May 2016 Family Medicine Night
MS4 Family Medicine Match Panel
May 4th, 2016 12-1PM
Previous FMIG Events
Clinical Skills Night: Casting Clinic
Students learned upper and lower extremity casting and splinting, led by
Dr. Sarah Coles, Dr. Jake Anderson, and residents and faculty
from Phoenix residency programs!
Family Medicine Happy Hour
FMIG kicked off the 2017-2018 school year with a family medicine
mixer - students enjoyed appetizers at Mi Amigo's while
mingling with faculty and residents and learning more about family medicine!