Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Interest Group
Welcome to the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Interest Group Page!
If you have any questions about this specialty or any other inquiries, please don't hesitate to contact one of the student leaders.
The Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation Interest Group is dedicated to providing education and exposure to the students of UA-COM Phoenix regarding the field of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation. Our aim is to provide students with the information, opportunities and tools necessary to explore PM&R as a career in medicine by facilitating seminars, activities, talks and practical clinics on the various facets of Physical Medicine. Our goal is to inform, inspire and enhance medical student interest in PM&R and allow future doctors the chance to be exposed to this rapidly evolving specialty.
Jaimie Hearn, MS4
Dr. Denise Campagnolo
What is Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation?
- Physiatrists treat a variety of medical conditions affecting the brain, spinal cord, nerves, bones, joints, ligaments, muscles, and tendons while focusing treatment on function.
- Lead teams of physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists to optimize patient care.
- EMG/Nerve conduction studies
- Ultrasound guided procedures
- Spinal injections/joint injections
- Spasticity treatment (Botox injections, intrathecal baclofen pumps)
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Complementary-alternative medicine (i.e. acupuncture)
- Disability/impairment assessment
- Sports Medicine, Brain Injury, Hospice and Palliative Care, Neuromuscular, Pain, Pediatric Rehabilitation, Spinal Cord Injury